The Johnson County Recycling District (also The Johnson County Solid Waste Management District) was created by  Indiana State Statute in 1992.  The District’s mission is to proactively reduce the amount of waste going to landfills and incinerators through education, source reduction, reuse and recycling.  In 2011, we changed our name to the JohnsoCounty Recycling District to more clearly identify our mission to the public.   


Our job is to help you dispose of your unwanted household items in an environmentally friendly way, if possible.  So, if you have CFL light bulbs, household chemicals, paint, cell phones, electronics, batteries, appliances, tires, or any other household items you no longer want, call us at (317) 738-2546. We have the resources to help you get rid of it!  Convenient year-round disposal options are available for most items. 



 The office and the Tox Box will be closed on April 18 for Good Friday!



Spring Recycling Event!


SCUD 2014























Hot off the Presses!

Johnson County Recycling District’s Recycling Guide

Click on the Guide to view a copy 

Recycle Guide 2014



Recycling District accepts the following items for proper disposal or recycling:  

  • Mercury thermometers, thermostats, liquid mercury
  • Electronics such as computers, monitors, stereos, televisions ($7.00 under 27″ and $12.00 over 27″) Cash or check only. Checks made payable to JCSWMD)
  • Cell phones with cords and chargers
  • PDA”s or Blackberry devices
  • MP3 players or IPods
  • Printer ink cartridges
  • Rechargeable batteries: includes rechargeable household batteries, button batteries, power tool batteries, Nickel Cadmium (Ni-Cd), Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH), Lithium Ion (Li-ion), Nickel Zinc (Ni-Zn) or Lead (pb) under 2 lbs. For more information on recycling rechargeable batteries, visit the Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation, www.rbrc.org  
  • We are not able to accept alkaline batteries at this time.  Alkaline batteries are safe to add to your regular trash.


Prescription/Medication Drop-off Locations: 

Medications may now be dropped off to collection boxes around the county! No questions asked!  Simply drop your pills, ointments, tablets, capsules, etc…in their original containers into specially marked drop boxes at the following locations:

  • *Johnson County Sheriff’s Department, 1091 Hospital Rd., Franklin
  • *Greenwood Police Department, 186 Surina Way, Greenwood; 7:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday.
  • *Edinburgh Police Department, 200 S. Main St., Edinburgh
  • *Whiteland location, 549 Main St., Whiteland; 7:30 a.m. -5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday.


Recycle Electronics! It’s the law!

As of January 1, 2011, according to IC 13-20.5-10, you may not place any electronics in with your curbside trash, and in fact, your trash hauler WILL NOT pick up electronics left curbside.  Electronics must be recycled at the JCRD or other registered electronics recycler. 

Electronics are accepted at the District office Monday through Friday from 8:30 A.M. TO 11:00 AND 1:30 P.M. TO 4:00 P.M. 

27″ or smaller- $7.00. Anything over 27″  – $12.00. 
(Cash or Check only.  Checks made payable to JCSWMD)

All other electronics are accepted for free at this time.

Please come prepared to removed your electronics from your vehicle yourself.  For liability reasons, District staff is unable to assist you. 


*The hours of collection and fees are subject to change as governed by the District’s Board of Directors.



Household Chemical Disposal 

Household chemicals such as oil-based paints, pesticides, herbicides, etc… can be taken to the Tox Box, 1051 Hospital Road at the Johnson County Highway Department.  For Johnson County Residents only.  Call 738-2546 for hours of operation or click on the paint cans at the right for additional information.


The Tox Box does not accept latex paint.  Dry it out completely on your own and place it in your trash.  Click on the paint cans for instructions. 



See how we are doing! 

Click the underlined text to view the Johnson County Recycling District’s 2011 Annual Report:

2011 Annual Report

2012 Annual Report

Annual Report 2013 (You must have Power Point to view this version)

Additional Reporting for Solid Waste Management Districts -2013 SB 131